Jan 31, 2018NFHS accepting applications for next executive director
The NFHS Board of Directors is officially announcing a vacancy for the position of executive director of the National Federation of State High School Associations, which has been created by the impending August 2018 retirement of Executive Director Bob Gardner.
The NFHS, located in Indianapolis, is the national leadership organization for high school athletic and activity programs. Since 1920, the NFHS has led the development of education-based interscholastic sports and activities that help students succeed in their lives. Members of the NFHS are high school associations in the 50 states plus the District of Columbia, and the NFHS reaches more than 19,000 high schools and more than 11 million participants in high school activity programs through its 51 members.
The executive director is responsible for general administration of NFHS headquarters and employing an administrative and support staff within the budgetary limitations established by the Board of Directors; screening, hiring and dismissal of all NFHS staff members; reporting to the Board of Directors at four annual meetings; and providing leadership, direction and support to the 51 member associations.
The successful candidate should:
- Have the ability to communicate – both in written and verbal form – to small and large groups, as well as individuals.
- Have demonstrated the ability to lead.
- Have demonstrated good judgment.
- Have demonstrated responsible behavior.
- Have a commitment to education-based athletics and activities.
- Be respected within the community of his/her experience.
- Have high moral character.
- Have a reputation of sound integrity and honesty.
- Have a passion for the true mission of education-based activities.
- Be a consensus-builder.
- Be a change agent.
- Be knowledgeable and well-read.
- Be an effective communicator.
- Have an understanding of technology.
Education/general experience requirements
- Minimum of an earned Master’s Degree in Education or related field – Doctorate preferred.
- Background in teaching, coaching or administration at the secondary level (grades 7-12).
- Understanding of, or involvement and experience with, state high school associations.
- Understanding of the role of the NFHS.
- Experience with the legal process.
- Prior positions of leadership.
Application packet should include the following:
- Letter of application, directed to NFHS President Jerome Singleton.
- A resume that reflects the qualifications, skills, and experiences for the position.
- A list of four references, only one of which should be a character reference. Please include addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses for all references.
All materials should be directed to Mautrice Meriweather, Manager of Executive Affairs & Staff Relations, NFHS, PO Box 690, Indianapolis, Indiana 46206.
- March 1, 2018 – Deadline for Receipt of Applications
- April 17-18, 2018 – Interviews with Finalists for Position
- When appropriate – Press Release Distributed to Announce Successful Candidate
- August 1, 2018 – Anticipated Start Date for New Executive Director